The Belgian User Support and Operation Centre (B.USOC), hosted at BIRA-IASB since its creation in 1999, aims to provide engineering and operational support to Belgian scientists in the preparation, implementation and exploitation of their experiments/mission, regardless of the space research field.
As part of the Belgian contribution to the International Space Station, the B.USOC is also an ESA Facility Responsible Centre for payloads on board the Columbus module, currently:
- external Atmosphere-Space Interactions Monitor (ASIM)
- pressurized Fluid Science Laboratory (FSL)
For those facilities, B.USOC is in charge of:
- preparation and execution of the operations
- tele-commanding and monitoring of the experiments
- data transfer to the scientists